Besides #NoMames2013, Latino Rebels also asked for nominations from our social media community for the 2013 Rebelde of the Year. After tabulating the tweets, comments and emails, here are this year’s nominees (from our readers):
More about the nominees:
- The Dream 9: immigration activists got all “radical” and began to shed a light on the reality of undocumented life in the U.S.
- Pope Francis: this Argentine Jesuit has a lot of our community talking this year, especially for his comments about capitalism and several social issues.
- Edward Snowden: the NSA whistleblower got several nominations, proving that some issues we cover don’t have to be “Latino” ones.
- Obama “heckler” Ju Hong: this one act in November symbolized the entire #Not1More campaign.
- Mexico’s Year of Protest: Many in the country continue to fight new privatization policies, including this young man.
- University of Texas students protesting “Catch an Illegal Immigrant” game: This one story took off and it was great to witness.