Earlier today, the Facebook page of “KOTV – The News On 6” out of Oklahoma shared the following post:
The response was so negative (just read the comments), that members of Dream Act Oklahoma (Tulsa) responded rather quickly with a call to action. Tonight, these DREAMers emailed us the following, and we agreed to publish it for them:
Offended about KOTV – The News On 6 story that wrongly stereotypes undocumented and Hispanic community as drug cartels?!
Members of Dream Act Oklahoma have convened and want to make it known:
- The undocumented community and Hispanic community should not be portrayed in unison with drug cartels. Drug cartels are not solely part of one specific demographic.
- Channel News 6 is perpetuating a hurtful generalization of the undocumented community and the Hispanic community by wrongly associating them as responsible for drug activity within Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma may be seeing an increase in undocumented and/or Hispanic community; however, a majority are actually small business owners, students, parents, religious leaders, and children. There is no mention of positive representation of this in Oklahoma.
- This is not journalism. This is propaganda that causes fear that further stigmatizes to two vulnerable populations: the undocumented community and the Hispanic community.
- As Dream Act Oklahoma, we have a responsibility to be speak out against injustice and empower individuals that are being marginalized. We hope that you join us in participating in our action, to inform the journalists and news media that this is not OK, that Oklahoma’s demographics are changing and this is a good thing for Oklahoma’s progress.
So, Tonight we hope to start a social media campaign.
Step 1: “Like” KOTV – The News On 6
Step 2: Take a picture of yourself, holding a poster that says, “I am Hispanic. I am Undocumented. I am contributing to Oklahoma’s Progress by … #DAOK” or “#IAMOKLAHOMA Allies: The Hispanic community also brings…. Immigrants also bring … I am an ally. #DAOK #IAMOKLAHOMA” You can also share the following infographic at the end of this post.
Step 3: Tag KOTV – The News on 6 Post on Facebook
Step 1: Put a “.” ( a period) at the very beginning of the tweet. And following Example : [email protected]
Step 2: Take a picture of yourself, holding a poster that says: “I am Hispanic. I am Undocumented. I am contributing to Oklahoma’s Progress by … #DAOK” or “#IAMOKLAHOMA Allies suggestions: The Hispanic community also brings…. Immigrants also bring … I am an ally. I am happy about it (See below for facts that you can add) #DAOK #IAMOKLAHOMA Or you can also share this inforgraphic:
So far, there have been some early tweets:
— Erika ♡ (@Ehug_92) February 4, 2014
— Juan Miret (@miretjuan) February 4, 2014
— America Macias (@Macias213) February 4, 2014
— Eli rojas (@elitequiere13) February 4, 2014
— Ivan Godinez (@Ivandreaming) February 4, 2014