In an opinion column for NBC Latino this afternoon, Latino Rebels founder @julito77 received official comments from Whole Foods’ Media Relations team regarding an Associated Press story published earlier today by NBC Latino where two Whole Foods employees in New Mexico claimed that they were suspended a day’s work for speaking Spanish during work hours.
The initial story we ran this morning went viral, and it was also tweeted out by the Twitter profile of Immortal Technique.
Here is what Whole Foods Libba Letton said via email:
At Whole Foods Market,
- We do not have “no foreign languages spoken” policies in ANY of our stores.
- Our approach is that the default language is English, for consistent communication, inclusion, and especially for safety and emergency situations.
- We are proud of our multilingual TMs [Team Members] and try to work with customers in other languages whenever needed!
- We recently had an incident where two TMs became upset when they believed they were told in a team meeting they could not speak Spanish at work. They misunderstood. Due to their rude and disrespectful behavior both in an office and in the store in front of customers, they were suspended with pay. Their suspension was due to their behavior alone.
- The store launched a full investigation based on their claims. Seventeen Team Members who attended the meeting confirmed that the language policy was discussed, and that at no time were they told they could not speak Spanish.
You can read the rest of Julito’s NBC Latino column here.
yet another reason I do not patronize Whole Foods
Strange, because they know this is illegal, but are trying to frame it in a way that justifies while at the same time denying they said it to these employees. I just don’t get it.
While professing to be ‘http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/peraturan.html profoundly disturbed’ by the aggression of anti-Semitic Germany, Roosevelt continued his special http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/jadwal.html friendship for Soviet Russia http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/promo.html after its attacks upon Outer Mongolia, Poland, Latvia, Esthonia, Lithuania and Finland. Professing an adoration for ‘http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/panduan.html democracy’ he refused, as the Jews control 90 percent of the scrap iron business, to invoke the Neutrality Act against http://cintaberita.com Japan in its http://raksasapoker.com/war on China, or against Russia when, with Germany, she invaded Poland and attacked Finland. He extended a warm welcome to the Communist Ambassador Oumansky when he presented his credentials and, on the same day, displayed marked coldness toward the newly appointed Ambassador from Christian Spain