The following media release was shared with Latino Rebels on Friday:
USA – On June 14, 2018, thousands of people across the US will join marches, rallies, and vigils to protest the administration’s cruel and inhumane treatment of immigrants and asylum seekers. This new round of protests follows a massive day of action on June 1, with an expected increase in the number of people demonstrating outrage about the current crisis of families being separated at the border and of children being put in detention.
Over 3,500 parents, grandparents, and neighbors are self-organizing local events in cities across the country through the website familiesbelong.org created by Families Belong Together, a group of concerned citizens who oppose the cruel, inhumane, and unjustified separation of children from their parents along the U.S. border with Mexico and at other ports of entry into the U.S.
A list of confirmed events can be found at the bottom of this release or on Facebook.
Organizers of Families Belong Together expressed the following: “As parents, it is unconscionable that the US government is actively tearing apart immigrant families. They are victims of violence, hunger, and poverty and our government’s actions re-violate them, causing untold damage. Children as young as 18 months are torn from their mothers’ arms by our own government. This is violent abuse and as concerned citizens and voters we state, unequivocally, that this is not in line with American values. We oppose the inhumane policies of the Trump Administration, Border Patrol, ICE, and other federal immigration agencies. We are disheartened by the lack of leadership in Congress whose job is to be a check on the federal government when it overreaches and abuses its power. We are calling for immediate reforms and an end to this barbarism.”
The National Domestic Workers Alliance, one of the organizations that led the #FamiliesBelongTogether National Day of Action on June 1st, is supporting this second round of events on June 14th.
“The outrage and opposition will only keep growing if the Administration continues this cruelty of separating families,” says Jess Morales Rocketto, Political Director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance and Chair of its immigration campaign “We Belong Together”. “Families belong together. This shouldn’t be up for debate. No one should accept babies being torn from their mothers’ arms or children being locked away from their parents. Congress has the power to stop this inhumane practice.”
List of confirmed events (expected to grow)
- Carpinteria, CA: 5 PM PDT / Tomol Interactive Play Area – 389 Linden Ave, Carpinteria, California 93013
- Los Angeles, CA: 5 PM PDT / MacArthur Park – 2230 W. 6th Street, Los Angeles, California 90057
- Riverside, CA: 5 PM PDT / Downtown Riverside, CA
- San Jose, CA: 6 PM PDT / San José City Hall – 200 E Santa Clara St, San Jose, California 95113
- Orlando, FL: 5 PM / CNL Center City Commons – 450 S Orange Ave, Orlando, Florida 32801
- Palm Beach, FL: 5 PM / S Flagler Dr and Southern Blvd
- Convington, KY: 5 PM / John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge – 1 Roebling Way, Covington, Kentucky 41011
- Glens Falls, NY 4:30 PM / Rep. Elise Stefanik’s office, 136 Glen St., Glens Falls NY 12801
- Huntington Village, NY: 7PM / Corner of Park Ave & Main St, Huntington Village, NW
- Massapequa Park, NY: 5 PM / In front of Rep. Peter King’s Office – 1003 Park Boulevard, Massapequa Park, NY 11762
- Patchogue, NY: 4 PM / 31 Oak St, Patchogue, NY 11772-2809, United States
- Cleveland, OH 4 PM / Cleveland Public Square – 50 Public Square, Suite 1700, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Dayton, OH 5 PM / 120 W 3rd St
- Austin, TX: 6 PM CDT / Austin City Hall – 301 W 2nd St, Austin, Texas 78701
- Dallas, TX: 6 PM CDT / Dallas City Hall – 1500 Marilla St, Dallas, Texas 75201
- Salt Lake City, UT: 6 PM MDT / Wallace Bennett Federal Building – 125 south state street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84138
Families Belong Together is a coalition of Americans who opposes the mistreatment of all immigrants by the current administration and past administrations. We stand against the separation of children from their families and other human rights abuses associated with the U.S. immigration enforcement apparatus. We demand immediate reforms to address this inhumane treatment of innocent human beings on our own soil. To learn more, please visit familiesbelong.org