The following legislative hearing from the Committee on Natural Resources Office of Insular Affairs happened on Wednesday to discuss two bills about Puerto Rico’s political status:
- H.R. 2070 (Rep. Nydia Velázquez), To recognize the right of the People of Puerto Rico to call a status convention through which the people would exercise their natural right to self-determination and to establish a mechanism for congressional consideration of such decision, and for other purposes. Puerto Rico Self-Determination Act of 2021.
- H.R. 1522 (Rep. Darren Soto), To provide for the admission of the State of Puerto Rico into the Union. Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act.
H.R. 1522, “Puerto Rico Statehood Admission Act”
- Rev. Carmen Cabrera (testimony): President, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) Faith Council, Hatillo, PR
- Dr. Christina Ponsa-Kraus (testimony): Professor of Constitutional Law, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Prof. Andrees L. Cordova (testimony): Professor of Property Law, Inter American University of Puerto Rico
H.R. 2070, “Puerto Rico Self- Determination Act of 2021”
- The Hon. Luis Gutierrez (testimony): Former Representative, Illinois’s 4th District, Chicago, IL
- Dr. Rafael Cox Alomar (testimony): Professor of Constitutional Law, University of the District of Columbia Washington, DC
- Ms. Annette Martínez-Orabona (testimony: Director, Caribbean Institute of Human Rights, San Juan, PR
- Dr. Jose Caraballo-Cueto (testimony): Professor of Economics, University of Puerto Rico, Cayey, PR