UPDATE: NBCUniversal has terminated its business relationship with Donald Trump.
It is the June 16 Donald Trump quote that has the Latino digital space speaking out in ways we have never seen before, including an online petition calling for NBC to end its ties with Trump (now at about 200K signatures and growing):
When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we’re getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They’re sending us not the right people.
It’s coming from more than Mexico. It’s coming from all over South and Latin America, and it’s coming probably— probably— from the Middle East. But we don’t know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don’t know what’s happening. And it’s got to stop and it’s got to stop fast.
Not surprisingly, no one has really tried to counter Trump’s comments with actual facts. PolitiFact ran a Trump analysis of other points he made in his June 16 speech, but nothing about the Mexico comments. Fox News Latino included a few tidbits when it edited an AP story, but it didn’t really dive deep. So if PolitiFact or anyone else for that matter won’t try to address Trump’s comments, we will try to give this some more context. It’s obvious to us that Trump’s logic (Mexicans are bringing problems to U.S. => Mexicans are rapists and criminals => Will lead to more terrorism from Middle East) is ridiculously stupid and racist. But still, we still think given a bit more context to all this silliness is a worthy exercise. Here is what Donald Trump doesn’t want you to know:
- The most dangerous state in the United States is Alaska, according to recent statistics. In fact, of the top 10 states in this category, only one (New Mexico) is a border state and only two (Florida and Nevada) are considered to be non-border states with significant Latino populations.
- Some of the safest cities in the U.S. are border cities.
- What about rape? Here is what you need to know: the U.S. has a significantly higher rate of rape than Mexico. Almost six times as much. In addition, statistics from the last 20 years keep saying white male rapists are more common than anyone else in this country.
- This whole issue about immigrants bringing more crime? A total myth.
- Close to 40% of federal crime statistics were immigration related in 2013. Drugs accounted for about 20%, while violent crime was at 19%. Organized crime was at .03%. Think about that.
- Actual facts about immigration and undocumented immigrants would be helpful in this debate, but why would Trump want to do that? Some things to think about when it comes to the economy: “For the United States as a whole, immigrants’ share of total output was about 14.7 percent over 2009–2011. Note that this is actually larger than immigrants’ 13 percent share of the population.” Then there is this: “Unauthorized immigrants are a net positive for public budgets because they contribute more to the system than they take out.”
- Also, if Trump is so concerned about problems coming to our shores, will he as President authorize close to $258 billion (in 2008 dollars) to send them all back home?
But let’s give you all some perspective about how many people from Mexico are already a part of this country’s fabric, whether it is a visit to the U.S., legal residency or just the growing number of the Mexican Americans in the U.S.:
- From DHS: “There were 61,052,260 I-94 nonimmigrant admissions in 2013… The largest category of admission in 2013 was temporary visitors for pleasure which represented 79 percent of I-94 admissions.” Of those 61 million visitors to this country, about 18 million came from Mexico, and if you take about 80% of that number for leisure travel, we are talking about 14 million Mexicans that visited the U.S. in 2013. How much money did those Mexicans pump into this country’s economy?
- Mexicans comprise 25% of all the this country’s lawful permanent resident population. According to DHS, 2013 immigration statistics, there are 13,140,000 lawful permanent residents in the United. 3,280,000 of those residents were born in Mexico, of which 2,670,000 are eligible to be naturalized. That’s a lot of Mexicans.
- Then you add the Mexican American population and this group is no longer an insignificant number. From Pew: “Mexicans are by far the largest Hispanic-origin population in the U.S., accounting for nearly two-thirds (64%) of the U.S. Hispanic population in 2012.1 Hispanics of Mexican origin are also a significant portion of the U.S. population, accounting for 11% overall.” And you wonder why people got upset.
By the way, if you don’t need statistics, then there is this:
“Among people who come to the U.S. today — whether they come from privileged backgrounds or humble backgrounds — is our next Einstein, is our next Nobel laureate.” #ImmigrantHeritageMonth
Posted by The California Endowment on Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Curiously, in the U.S.A. “Most convicted rapists are white males”:
According to the U.S. government, “in the category of sexual assault, whites made up nearly 75% of all offenders imprisoned for sexual assault vs. 23% for blacks and 3% for other races.”
Edmund A Well, Ed, that’s because almost all “hispanics,” including Mexicans, are considered to be white in government statistics. If they are excluded, you will specifically see the phrase “non-hispanic whites” used. My wife is a South American chola–dark-skinned and even speaks a little Incan dialect–but she’s considered to be white by the US, state, and local governments because she is also of Spanish (which is European) decent and is not black. So most hispanics/latinos/Mexicans, etc, are lumped in with “white,” not “other.”
There a 3 races White, Black, Asian and this is based on skeletal structure. People with any intelligence know that both Anglos and Hispanics are white race just different ethnicities.
[…] Trump has stated that he intends to deport 11 million immigrants, labeled Mexicans “rapists” and thieves, blamed criticism from Fox News anchor Megan Kelly to her assumed menstruation, […]
[…] campaign manager. As you might expect, it got some attention, because as you know by now, Trump’s been having this problem with Latinos ever since he launched his presidential […]
The Talmud must not be regarded http://utamadomino.com as an ordinary work, composed of twelve volumes; http://utamadomino.com/app/img/peraturan.html it posies absolutely no similarity http://utamadomino.com/app/img/jadwal.html to http://utamadomino.com/app/img/promo.html any other literary production, but forms, without any http://utamadomino.com/app/img/panduan.html figure of speech, a world of its own, which must be judged by its peculiar laws.
The Talmud contains much that http://utamadomino.com/ is frivolous of which it treats with http://dokterpoker.org/app/img/peraturan.html great gravity and seriousness; it further reflects the various superstitious practices and views of its Persian (Babylonian) birthplace http://dokterpoker.org/app/img/jadwal.html which presume the efficacy of http://dokterpoker.org/app/img/promo.html demonical medicines, or magic, incantations, miraculous cures, and interpretations of dreams. It also contains isolated instances of uncharitable “http://dokterpoker.org/app/img/panduan.html judgments and decrees http://dokterpoker.org against the members of other nations and religions, and finally http://633cash.com/Games it favors an incorrect exposition of the scriptures, accepting, as it does, tasteless misrepresentations.http://633cash.com/Games
The Babylonian http://633cash.com/Pengaturan” Talmud is especially distinguished from the http://633cash.com/Daftar Jerusalem or Palestine Talmud by http://633cash.com/Promo the flights of thought, the penetration of http://633cash.com/Deposit mind, the flashes of genius, which rise and vanish again. It was for http://633cash.com/Withdraw this reason that the Babylonian rather http://633cash.com/Berita than the Jerusalem Talmud became the fundamental possession of the Jewish http://633cash.com/Girl Race, its life breath, http://633cash.com/Livescore its very soul, nature and mankind, http://yakuza4d.com/ powers and events, were for the Jewish http://yakuza4d.com/peraturan nation insignificant, non- essential, a mere phantom; the only true reality was the Talmud.” (Professor H. Graetz, History of the Jews).
And finally it came Spain’s turn. http://yakuza4d.com/home Persecution had occurred there on “http://yakuza4d.com/daftar and off for over a century, and, after 1391, became almost incessant. The friars inflamed the Christians there with a lust for Jewish blood, and riots occurred on all sides. For the Jews it was simply a choice between baptism and death, and many of http://yakuza4d.com/cara_main them submitted http://yakuza4d.com/hasil to baptism.
But almost always conversion on thee terms http://yakuza4d.com/buku_mimpi was only outward and http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/peraturan.html false. Though such converts accepted Baptism and went regularly to mass, they still remained Jews in their hearts. They http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/jadwal.html were called Marrano, ‘http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/promo.html Accursed Ones,’ and there http://raksasapoker.com/app/img/panduan.html were perhaps a hundred thousand of them. Often they possessed enormous wealth. Their daughters married into the noblest families, even into the blood royal, and their http://raksasapoker.com/ sons sometimes entered the Church and rose to the highest offices. It is said that even one of the popes was of this Marrano stock.